Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Didn't know fire could burn

I love that saying. My husband introduced it to me yesterday. It’s the thought of people saying and doing things thinking you’ll be impressed or they’ll win your good favor but you’re really dumbfounded because what they’ve done or said is actually idiotic or quite odd and they don’t know it…Perfect example follows:

People skills-some people have them. Some people don’t. Scratch that. Some people have them, most people don’t. When you launch a business, the universe presents you with opportunities. The opp to grow, the opp to be creative, the opp to make money and the opp to meet people. Sometimes you meet great people-sometimes you don’t. I came across a marketing company that seemed super eager to learn about me and help me and when I proceeded to chat with them yesterday, the entire conversation revolved around their resume. Don’t get me wrong-I want to hear your expertise. But interest in me and my vision and allowing me to speak would be cool, too. I present a recap of the conversation :

Them: Our campaigns have appeared here, here, here (lasted for 5 minutes)/Me: Wow great, it sounds like we can really work (interrupted-after 3 seconds)/Them: and we know this, this, and this (5 minutes/me: you seem very well-versed…Interrupted after 2 seconds)/Them: this is what we do and why people think we’re experts (5 min.)./me (thinking): this conversation is going nowhere and why would I want to work with a group that is self-centered and can’t even hold a normal conversation? Who’d want to work with you? You know how it ended. They heard my uncle tone and a tad bit of respect.

On the upside—and I think the above story is part of the upside because as an entrepreneur and biz owner you meet tons of people and some propel you forward and some want to hold you back and take your money-you have to make the decision and sometimes you have to make it quick. Related news…I am expected a couple of newspapers to mention the line next week. My mom has warned again singing haleluia too quickly so once I see news of K&P published, that is when I’ll celebrate!

I’ve teamed up with a local group of biz ladies for an extensive 2 week “kinda focus on me and my biz” workshop. Today was the first nite and it went awesome. When you team up with local women who know where you’re coming from, sometimes ideas just keep popping into you head even after you’ve left.

I still have to get to my biz plan! It’ll be done before tax day!

No comments:

Post a Comment