Wednesday, April 22, 2009

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

Remember that song we learned in grade school? You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey? Well as business owners, we can’t rely on others to be our sunshine. We are our own sunshine. Trust me sometimes I know it’s challenging to maintain not only momentum but motivation (today I thought the kitchen was going to explode and I was running late to a meeting-more on that later) but we have to do whatever it takes to bring 1000% of energy and focus to the business and get into that state. Whether it’s working out first thing (like I did this am-my arms will thank me later), approaching the day with positive energy, and budgeting time and tasks effectively, our days are what we make of them. That’s why we went into business for ourselves right? So we can do what we love and be more in charge.
Sometimes we depend on others to validate ourselves and what we do. That can be dangerous and that is what seems to be happening with the recession. Some people lose their jobs and feel themselves lost regardless of whether they liked what they did. In these cases, our identities are tied to our jobs, not our passions, and when others see fit, jobs and positions are eliminated. Our identities should be tied to what we hold sacred to our values. For me my identity is tied to my own self worth and in turn my marriage, my family, my home and my health, my passions and hobbies and friends are paramount to me. Jobs come and go but health is important. I am just reinforcing this as I continue to monitor my fitness levels ie damn cholesterol in addition to my eating habits. When we get stressed we,[I] should have never been okay with reaching for the quickest, while unhealthy thing to eat (damn Doritos). I am learning to budget my time better and make priorities and my health-it’s number 1. That’s why I am working out daily and limiting the “no” foods per my doc.
And that brings me back to my kitchen almost exploding today. Hubby swore the dish I was making would take 25 minutes. Why, given that I started at 4:15, I was scarfing it down when it was ready at 5:40 when I had to be down at old town @ 6:30 in rush hour for my Ladies who Launch meeting? Food was everywhere and hubby was due to walk in any minute and he couldn’t find a mess and I was going crazy. But it was okay. I made the mess and I had to clean it up and I did, grabbed my purse and jetted! Got there on time and met some awesome leaders. And the best part of it all-dinner was made, kitchen was clean and the business was back on my priority radar and it was me who was the mechanical engineer behind it all. I took charge and made it happen so if you need something done for your business: Do it yourself/ Find out who can do it/ Give yourself a goal for when it should be done/Work consistently at accomplishing the goal.
The highlight of my day, besides the LWL meeting (they rock by the way) I made it to my local newspaper in NYC. Check out the link to the right. Mom just called. She loved the piece, along with my dad and brothers and sister! It’s awesome making their day and knowing that tonite, those closest to me have a smile on their faces because they believe in me! Go forward movement!

No comments:

Post a Comment