Monday, April 13, 2009

Out from Under-the tale of an accounting survivor

I’ve finally dug myself out from under days of catching up on my accounting. One of many newbie businesses fail is because of messy books so I vowed very early on to keep receipts of everything and to track all my spending-anything from my $.10 copies to my $4000 tradeshow fees. Last Thursday, I ate nothing from 11am to 8pm because I had become one with the calculator, and it was not letting me eat. It paid off though-there’s nothing like going to bed at night knowing you know every single cent that left your business and you can account for it not only to you but your family and bankers. It’s just a little challenging when you wear so many hats. Days consist of time slots for media outreach, design, letting people know you’re alive via email and phone calls, following up with sales calls and then carving out time to consolidate all your efforts into a business plan you hope others see just as viable as you! This morning I let Oni hear my elevator pitch. She liked it so I gave her a treat! She knows when she hears a good thing.

A huge thank you to all the media that is super stoked about K&P. The support means the world to me. On the flipside I did last week get my first cold-shoulder from a blogger who shall remain nameless because they’re too frivolous to be named. I came across an online plea to profile upcoming designers so humility aside, I introduced myself in an email. She flat out told me she wasn’t looking to profile plus-size fashion-just mainstream. What is that supposed to mean? Ignorance is bliss. For me, fashion is fashion and a size 2 woman can be just as fashionable as a size 16. Regardless, I just wanted to share because all business will come across a jab now and again and you just have to not let it sting. As a very sweet consolation price, I was mentioned on Wall Street Journal’s website in a story about reinventing yourself. Whoohoo for K&P! Check out the piece if you can!

Now I have to turn my attention over to my Spring 2010 collection! It’s pretty much done…in my head. Just gotta get it on paper and tweak some design elements. I have to have that ready for my next tradeshow in August. Biz plan almost done to present to the SBA next week. Exciting stuff. It’s time to push to the next level! But first, a bike ride. Can’t forget my cardio!

No comments:

Post a Comment